I’m always looking for something quick and healthy to eat for breakfast on the go, and I found this recipe in Everyday Food. I made them yesterday and they were easy and delicious! However shredding the carrots took a little longer than I expected.. and turned my hands orange. Oh well, it was worth it.
Healthy Morning Muffin Recipe
Nonstick cooking spray
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup raisins (I used 1/3 cup and it was perfect)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large egg
1/3 cup skim milk
4 medium carrots, shredded
1 medium ripe banana, mashed
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I added these for more omega-3s)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt until there are no lumps.
3. Stir in oats, raisins and walnuts. Add oil, egg, milk, carrots, and banana and stir until blended.
4. Divide the batter as evenly as you can between the 12 muffins.
5. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, 23 to 25 minutes (mine took about 25 minutes).